Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Dinner set

Posted by Zeetra 
Dinner set
June 07, 2020 09:21AM
Hi lovelies,

I am after a recommendation of a decent, but not too expensive dinner set.

Thank you

Zee xxx
Re: Dinner set
June 07, 2020 10:06AM
I like the Maxwell and Williams Cashmere range, not too expensive, available very widely as sets and open stock.
June 07, 2020 12:27PM
Can I make a suggestion that whatever you make a decision on, opt for white and no pattern. Then if pieces chip or break they are very easy to replace. I have Maxwell and Williams and find they are great
J1
June 08, 2020 12:27AM
Alternative view. I bought some white plates but got bored with them. I bought some SQUARE white plates to help overcome the boredom. These are great for certain meals - things like Chicken Pad Thai. I saw some pottery plates I really liked at a local potter's and bought four of them and ate many of my meals off them for quite some time because they just made everything feel better and right. Then I saw some beautiful plates in Farmers (Haven Table Myra Bay blue with gold edge line) and bought two of them and they're still my favourite. But I also saw some raised rim plates in The Warehouse and bought two of those (creamy white with black edge, surface not shiny - dull) and certain food looks superb on them because it's framed by this lovely black circle, and I went to a fancy restaurant once and they gave me my food on the same Warehouse plate. I have even more plates than this now, but you'll be getting the gist of it. Depending on what we're eating, I pull out the plate that seems to suit the food mood. It adds to the food experience. It's fun. If there's lots of us, people can choose their own plate (some people don't care, other people are quite selective). I wouldn't go back to a single set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 12:32AM by J1.
July 01, 2020 08:40AM
While I like the quality of Maxwell and Williams and have some of their serving dishes and platters, I am not so fond of the off-white colour.

I have a white Thomas Medallion dinner set bought years ago along with some serving pieces, soup cups and even a coffee pot. I have had it for years because I have hardly ever used it so the opportunities for breakage have been few and far between. However, in the day, it seems that we all had a 'good' set and an everyday set.

My everyday dinnerware comprises surviving pieces of the various sets that I have bought over years - my 'this is your life' of crockery - a bit like J1 but by accident rather than by design. Some of it was from "Nest' which I bought when they were in 277 in Newmarket - they were selling it by the kilo! I also have some handpainted pieces from the Steiner Studio in Auckland. Like J1, I use different pieces for different meals but just by habit.

Zee, your post inspired me to get out my 'good' dinner set in the weekend when a neighbour came over for dinner. I even got out my 'good' cutlery. I have decided to make more use of these, after all every day is a 'good' day, isn't it?

I would be interested to know what you decided to buy.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 08:49AM by Barbara Anne.
July 01, 2020 11:04PM
Barbara Ann, I have had a Thomas Medallion set for over 30 years and use it every dsy as the items are so sturdy. I can replace what is chipped. Although there have been slight changes to the design over the years, they have been close enogh tothe original. So, if you decide to use your set more often, replacementx are available and ok.
July 02, 2020 02:47AM
Yes I see that it still available - good to hear that yours has survived daily use, Chris - that strengthens my resolve to use it more often.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 02, 2020 03:02AM
Use it and enjoy it, Barbara Anne smiling smiley

We had a full Denby set that I bought not long after we got married. I loved that set for 20 years.. but in the last few years, with teenage sons being responsible for the dishwasher/ing, several bits have got chipped and broken. Last year I got so tired of looking at chipped pieces, that I donated the entire set to hospice (minus the chipped bits) and bought a basic Farmers set 8 each side plates, dinner plates and soup bowls.. all up cost me about $90 as they were 40% off at the time and not dear to begin with. They're a mix of duck egg blue, stone white and pale green. Harmless and functional (albeit a bit heavy, which you get with cheap), but also boring.

I've decided over the next few years I'm going to intentionally start buying odds and sods that I like, used or new, and just having a mish mash to enjoy.

Funny how things that are important change over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 03:03AM by Jenna.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.