Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Long story

Posted by Griz 
Long story
August 22, 2020 08:52AM
So, last night, in the depths of a long night shift, I came across a recipe for a nice looking Tan Tan Ramen dish that looked quick and easy, used ingredients I mainly already had, and would fill the need I've had recently for spicy soupy noodly things to eat. One ingredient I didn't have was togarashi, no problem thought I, I've seen that mentioned on Foodlovers, and I'm sure they said you can get it from New World so I'll get it on my way home.
Called in to New World, not anywhere, staff don't know of it, so tried Countdown, Moore Wilson (surely!) and finally Pak n Save, with no joy. Used my phone to look up the ingredients and thought I've got everything there except the Nori, so back to Countdown where I knew I could get that. (Covid tracking app used at every stop!)
Now I'm sitting here drying orange peel in the oven, and then have to toast, cool and dry my other ingredients before I finally can make my Ramen! So much for quick and easy!!!
Re: Long story
August 22, 2020 09:39AM
It's probably not a lot of comfort, but I have to say that the Togarashi in little jars that I've bought From New World and also from Japan Mart has been totally lacking in flavour other than a slight chili heat. I gave up on using it but now you have inspired me to make my own. I already have the orange peel that I dried last month.

What is your recipe for it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2020 09:40AM by TPANDAV.
August 22, 2020 09:45AM
TPANDAV, well, it's yet to be tried, but this is the one I'm going with. Spices cooling now.

[www.daringgourmet.com]
August 22, 2020 10:23PM
Griz, you couldn't find it possibly because it's Shichimi Togarashi you should have been looking for. It's either in the herbs & spices section or in the international section. I've seen it in both in our New World and Countdown shops here in Whitianga. It's especially nice sprinkled very lightly onto scrambled eggs or on hot popcorn. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
August 23, 2020 09:11AM
I looked under all the names, shichimi and nanami and togarashi.... it's also surprising how many spice displays aren't alphabetical!
And I looked everywhere, international aisle, spice aisle... not to be had in Masterton.
August 23, 2020 11:11PM
I have got some S&B brand Nanami Togarashi that I got from my local NW. However, I am keen now to make my own for more flavour. Thanks for posting that link, Griz. I am already subscribed to this blog but never spotted the recipe.
August 24, 2020 09:34AM
I have just been to our local NW and searched for Shichimi Togarash but couldn't see it anywhere.
I also couldn't see Nanami Togarashi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.