Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Dog advice

Posted by Ali W 
Dog advice
October 30, 2020 09:28PM
We have homed a rescue dog who was dropped off at the local pound one night. Everyone thinks he is about 2 - 3 years old. He is so quiet and compliant we wonder if he has been abused. He has been here for 4 nights and has not barked once, all he wants is to be patted with his head on someone's knee. Already he has bonded with my husband who is his primary caregiver.

We decided he could come into the lounge in the evenings and sit on his bed. Last night we found out he is not house trained!

My question is....does anyone know of a good trainer on Youtube? We don't want to troll through to find the best,

Or should we invest in someone to assess him.

He is a lovely dog who needs to have his personality unlocked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 11:13PM by Ali W.
Re: Dog advice
October 30, 2020 10:10PM
Oh, lucky you to have been 'found' by this lovely-sounding dog.

Mark Vette, NZ's foremost dog trainer, has several videos online and has written books on dog training. His approach is totally sympathetic and from what I've seen, I would recommend him. I haven't any personal experience, just what I've seen and heard in the media.

Edited to add this link which you might find helpful:
[www.stuff.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2020 10:15PM by Lorna.
October 31, 2020 04:38PM
I think with a rehomed dog of uncertain history I'd be heading to the vet in the first instance, to check that there isn't some physical reason for the toileting issues. Assuming that all checks out ok, I'd go to a local dog trainer, who can actually handle the dog and see how the animal is responding to correction. Mark Vette is awesome, but I'd still prefer hands on in this situation.
November 01, 2020 04:56AM
From my experience, dogs need to toilet after eating/drinking (about 10-30mins) and before bed. I used one command (GO) and rewarded the dog with a pat. The use of the word GO is short, no other words with it, I would stand still not looking at her until the business had been done. She would go and stand at the door if she wanted to go. Your re-homed doggie is so lucky to have you, all the best Ali.
November 01, 2020 06:02AM
Thanks for your encouragement and advice. Two pieces of good news.....he is starting to know his name is Harry, and last night we heard two tiny barks when someone was walking up the right of way beside our house. He might be finding his voice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.