Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Plastic Bags

Posted by Chris 
Plastic Bags
July 02, 2023 01:48AM
Up till now I have been re-using the supermarket plastic bags from the vegetable department for storing fruit and veggies in my fridge. I am a bit uncertain how to best store them now that the plastic bags are no longer available. My fridge is just over 10 years old and the vegetable drawers are obviously not of the technology that keeps the produce from drying out. I have a good supply of reusable bags, cotton ones as well as finely woven mesh ones made from artificial fibres. The cotton ones would be useless in the fridge as everything would dry out really fast. I would be interested to know what members are using to keep produce fresh. My fridge is working very well and I am not of a mind to replace it in a hurry. I should add that it's not an option to transfer fruit etc into plastic containers as the two drawers I have are not really large enough and suitable for doing that.
Re: Plastic Bags
July 02, 2023 07:44AM
Chris I have been saving bread bags to use for crumbing. Would they work?
July 02, 2023 08:11AM
I buy the Rota freezer bags on a roll for this and I also use them for marinating and crumbing etc. I hope they don't ban them too! God, they probably have....... We wont be able to find them soon no doubt. But then what can we use to freeze food in. This is getting ridiculous. I save bread bags for dog poopssmiling bouncing smiley
July 02, 2023 09:19AM
Irene and Danube, thank you for your responses. Because I usually bake our bread I don't have bags available although I do save them when I buy the occasional loaf of Vogels and use those for chicken bones etc to put out with the rubbish. Danube, buying freezer bags is a great idea. They are of a good size and they should do nicely since I can reuse them over and over again. Thank you for the tip. I am all for reducing plastic that is creating havoc in our waterways and landfills.
July 03, 2023 06:17AM
Chris, a while ago I stopped using plastic bags for most of my fruit and vegetables in the fridge and I have a couple of linings, a rigid, green tough plastic or plastic/like I bought and lined the fruit and vege areas. They seem to work well keeping things fresh. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got them or even if they are now in the banned list of various plastic things. Prior to that I used to use kitchen towels, changing as necessary, of course. I am so hoping some innovative person or company will come up with a good allowable alternative.

I remember back many years where one other staff member always brought his lunchtime sandwiches along in a bread bag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.