Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

headache

Posted by Lisa Templeton 
headache
October 29, 2004 04:44AM
hey everyone,
i'm having a bit of trouble with headaches at present and wondered if anyone had any new funky ideas other than pain killers (of which i take too many now) ( Have cut down on chocolate and don't like oranges or orange juice so its not that.)
Kindest regards
lisa
Lyn
Re: headache
October 29, 2004 05:25AM
I wonder if perhaps your neck or back are out of zinc as that will make a big difference as to why you are having them at all. Get checked out Lisa as they are an awful thing to suffer from. All the best
October 29, 2004 05:40AM
feverfew tablets are a good long term solution.
October 29, 2004 07:01AM
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but if you switch from coffee to herbal tea or water - I guarantee you'll feel heaps better, after a few days of withdrawal symptoms (headaches ironically)...good luck - and are you getting regular breaks from work - the short ones (i.e. proper tea/lunch breaks - where you go out somewhere quiet and eat something wholesome without thinking of cheesecakes) and the long ones - a weekend at least - just you and Donald or even by yourself?

It sounds really wishy washy to suggest this - but I feel amazing after yoga, all those spinal twists and back strengthening - it's got to be good for you (not to mention the pranyama (breathing) and meditation at the end - heaven on earth.....
October 29, 2004 08:27AM
At the other end of the spectrum, I find a high intensity workout does wonders. At a level where you're huffing and puffing and think that you can't possibly do another minute. It sure takes your mind off everything other than getting through the workout, the headache goes and so does any stress that may have caused it.

If that's just not you, then a brisk walk would be just as good. Try to do it for an hour at least and at a pace where it's not easy to hold a conversation. If you can't manage an hour, then even half an hour is better than nothing.

I know you're an extremely busy lady Lisa, but you need to take some time out for yourself so try to fit in some exercise whether it be a full-on workout or some relaxing yoga and stretching.
October 29, 2004 09:25AM
Lynley I reckon you know some of my wee secrets!!! I have stopped drinking coke! Probably having 10 to 15 coffees a day. (I drink very very very strong coffees. Two to three heaped teaspoons of maconna coffee (Shhhhh don't tell Nescafe!. :}:-o) So i guess its high up there in the possible reasons. Also time to eat is getting a bit more difficult lately. It sometimes annoys me that people say never trust a skinny cook. Some of us become skinny because of the amount of cooking or baking we do!!!
Well i will try to cut down on coffee. I'm getting good workouts in the kitchen lifting 20 quart mixing bowls etc???
thankyou everyone for your suggestions.
Kind Regards
lisa
alison
October 29, 2004 09:36AM
Just one thought I have......are you drinking enough water?
October 29, 2004 09:38AM
Alison I don't drink water on its own but I have started drinking "Chi" herbal mineral water?!
So I guess the answer is not really.......
Kindest regards
Lisa
October 29, 2004 09:52AM
I think it's important that you get medical opinion to identify what kind of headaches you are getting Lisa - I believe headaches shouldn't be trifled with.

I suffered (and I really mean suffered) from migraine , two or three times a week, for many years - and the treatment for migraine is quite different to that of a headache caused by other things like tension headaches, eye troubles etc. One symptom is that you often get visual disturbance in one eye or the other prior to a migraine attack!

If you could rule that out then I think all the suggestions here are very valuable. Personally I would check with a doctor before embarking on anything else - but that's just a personal choice/ perspective of course.

October 29, 2004 11:24AM
I'm with Alison on this one - dehydration is the main cause of headaches. Keep a sipper bottle with you, somehow it seems to taste better than a glass of water (pretend it's Chi!).

Dehydration can also make you tired and thirst is often confused with hunger.

Good luck.

Raewyn G
October 29, 2004 11:59AM
Lisa, PLEASE get a medical opinion. I suffer from stress headaches, when I'm tired and things are a bit toooooo....... much. I get a monthly migrane, which I call a hormonal headache. Repetitive headaches need checking out. For your own and your family's sake, see your Doctor.
We can all speculate on why and what to use to rid ourselves of these awful things, and I believe more relaxation would benefit most women, regardless of their circumstances............but we haven't the time.
Take good care of yourself,
Raewyn G
October 29, 2004 09:48PM
Have you had your eyes checked? Some headaches are caused by eye strain. If you wear glasses, they may need to be updated, and if not, perhaps you may need some. A trip to an optician and a few tests, can quickly rule out if this is a possible cause.

Hubby has just recently had to get new glasses, (stronger lenses) and was complaining about headaches. Finally he went to get his eyes checked, after I'd made the appointment for him. And new more headaches except for the $500 bill. sad smiley

Linda.
Lucy
October 29, 2004 10:24PM
Absolutely agree with the ladies who advocate a medical check-up. I suffered from constant headaches over quite a long period of time and these gradually became migraine headaches. Real nasty puke-up and zig-zaggy vision kind. When I finally went to my doctor she discovered in a few moments my blood pressure was sky high. (we are talking stroke material if I had continued without medical intervention) Straight on to medication and I can honestly say I have not had a single headache since then (over three years now). I don't think you, or any of us should try to guess what is causing the headaches - a trip to your GP would probably be your safest course to begin with. Best wishes in findiing the reason for the headaches and in finding a solution.
Lucy
smiling smiley

October 29, 2004 11:19PM
I'm also with Ali on the water.... I find on days when I am out of my normal routine and don't drink as much water, I am more likely to get a headache. Another thought would be... have you had your eyesight checked lately and your blood pressure?? Probably not these but you never know.
Hope you are headache free soon.
Regards Kaye.
Kay
October 30, 2004 02:25AM
Liza, How long have you been suffering with headaches? if it is only since you have ben drinking more coffee? Try cutting down the strength of coffe and I also agree with Ali have more water as dehydration is a big factor in headaches.
Put aside 30 mins at least for yourself each day. This helps releive stress.
You could just sit for this time and close those eyes and roll your head three times each way in a circle then relax. I often lie flat on the floor and after about 2-3 mins slowly get up in a rolling movement from the head to the feet.
You have a lot of good advice but nothing beats a short timeout for a busy person.
Kay
October 31, 2004 12:34AM
Lisa I know I will sound like a "mother" here but I wish you and Donald could find the time to have 2 days off from Denheath in a row (and more often than once a year) where you could sleep in and take time to smell the roses.

And.... as mentioned above - less coffee and more water would be good.
It is amazing how you can retrain yourself (fairly quickly as well) to get used to drinking water. I used to have to force it down but now really do enjoy it.smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.