Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Praying for rain tonight!!!!!

Posted by Raewyn G 
Raewyn G
Praying for rain tonight!!!!!
November 05, 2004 02:54AM
I'm nearly beside myself with Guy Fawkes! So I hope it rains tonight. For well over a week I have had to sit up with our "May" because she's terrified of the fireworks. I usually retire around 9.30 but its been 10.30-11 before the noise stops and I can literally push the big black softie Lab out to her bed on the porch.
My answer is ban them, except for organised displays!
Raewyn:-osad smileysad smiley?:-(

Well, looking at the sky outside my office at the moment, your wish may come true Raewyn. Its looking very grey and bleak here in Hamilton at the moment. We were still awake last night at 10.30 am with some idiot letting off boom boxes. Rather large & very b.....y loud noises. Even my 20 yr son complained about the brainless idiots.

Helen CB
Lyn ( P. Nth)
Re: Praying for rain tonight!!!!!
November 05, 2004 05:56AM
I am with you Raewyn.sad smiley My poor pooch has been freaking for the last week with all of the fireworks we get at night. And he is a 60kg wimp when it comes to loud noises!! No fun when HE leaps onto your lap for comfort.:}
They should be totally banned, no doubt about it. I was attending a board meeting today at a local training facility when a young attendee turned up looking decidedly uncomfortable. Turns out she had a nasty big burn on her stomach. Some group of idiots had aimed some kind of firework at her last night (she was wearing traditional clothing ie a bare midriff) and it struck her tum. She was sent home with instructions to see a doctor. That is how bad it looked.
Shame nobody has carried on the good work Beverly Pentland began. ( I think that was her name) And now I feel bad for not volunteering.?:-(
So I'm off to find a raindance routine on Google.
:}

Lyn ( P. Nth)

Raewyn G
November 05, 2004 06:56AM
You girls can take your indian rain dance gear off, coz its raining. Thank you! I never thought I'd be so glad to see rain!!!!!! May need to request a downpour or 2 after dark, preferably when their fireworks are out of the bag.

Cheers,
Raewynsad smiley
Lyn ( P. Nth)
November 05, 2004 07:44AM
It is raining Raewyn? Are you in Palmy? and if so where? lol....cos' outta MY window in the office it is not raining. Geez. You know, I have often driven to work and had a huge rainstorm sweep over me ( read car) 1/2 way, only to find sunshine at the kitchen. Thats Barmy Palmy for ya! Still, with the warm temps we are having, Balmy Palmy will soon be a catch phrase.:/

Well, we all live in hope??!!

Lyn ( P. Nth)

Just thought...I do that on occasion... its Noeleen in Palmy NOT Raewyn. OK. Im off to up my Prozac intake.:}

Lyn ( P. Nth)
November 05, 2004 07:51AM
Please all, disregard the rantings of the madwoman ( me) above.sad smiley

I am confused, tired, and need to get home to sleep. Sacre bleu! What a hoot. I must take the time to get to know you all and your locations. I zoom along here, leave my opinion, then clear off without getting INTO this wonderful family at Foodlovers. Shall rectify that post haste. Well...tomorrow anyway.smiling smiley

Lyn ( P. Nth)

Well done ladies it raining in timaru too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not keen on them at all either. Keesarla is terrified of them and has woken every nite this week. Majick wants his curtain wide open so he can sit up and watch them!!!!!!!!!! Boys aye!!!!!!!!!!!
But I don't understand why it can't be just one nite a year and done by the local fire brigade or the like.
Kind Regards
Lisa
November 05, 2004 08:59AM
Hi Raewyn,
can't believe you want rain in the Manawatu after all we have had this year, honestly I know where you are coming from - working in the Veterinary field have had many calls from owners like you besides themselves concerned about their pets - Not raining enough to stop the fireworks here though. Hope you dont live near the showgrounds as there is more to come tomorrow night at the stockcars.

Raewyn G
November 05, 2004 09:07AM
Yes I'm in Balmy Palmy alright, Lyn. We can usually see the showgrounds fireworks from here in Awapuni. Its the very loud boom ones that leave our May beside herself.
No we don't want anymore rain in the Manawatu but I need something to stop this noisy waste of money, terrifying my big baby!
Raewynsad smileysad smiley

Lyn ( P. Nth)
November 05, 2004 09:41AM
Raewyn!!! Are you at Arohanui??????smiling smiley
Raewyn G
November 05, 2004 11:01AM
Yes Lyn I am. Along with the other Raewyn that contributes on this site. She's a nurse extraordinaire and I'm the cook up there. How did you know? Should I know you??:-(
November 05, 2004 11:06AM

Hi Raewyn,

I also hoped it rained for you. I really feel for you and your dog with the fireworks.
Our old dog was just the same for years, and as he was a golden retriever, - a large dog to try and comfort. I wrote a few days ago in the thread on Guy Fawkes about the chemist suggesting using the Bach flowers Rescue Remedy. I found it a life saver, as we gave him a dose early in the evening, and although he didn't obviously like the noise, he didn't panic, and would just do his usual lie down in his favourite places. Only occasionally I needed to give him a second dose, if the fireworks went on from early afternoon until after midnight.

There was a discussion on the radio this morning, and several people phoned in to say that they used the rescue remedy, and how good it was for their animals, paricularly for the firework season. It is also wonderful for animals who get frightened with thunder. An occasional medical tranquillizer wouldn't hurt, but they are not good to use for days and weeks on an animal. There is nothing harmful in the rescue remedy.

I have just looked out the window and seen some fireworks way, way in the distance, and no noise. My present dog is sound asleep, and doesn't know how lucky he is.

best wishes,
Heather

November 05, 2004 11:39AM
I have a friend who is a paediatric anaethetist and she refuses to have anything to do with fireworks aside from public displays as the burns that she has seen are just horrific.

The only problem with a wet November 5th is does it just delay the inevitable as the fireworks are still going to be let off just on another night.
Lyn ( P. Nth)
November 05, 2004 08:36PM
lol...no Raewyn you shouldnt have any reason to know me, but in the past I often dropped off backup sweet or dessert platters to the Hospice if they had been untouched ( read, left off buffets or left refrigerated). I have a feeling one of my big , white Maxwell Williams platters is in your kitchen !!
Let me know if you come across it, and I will get to meet you one day!

Lyn
smiling smiley

Raewyn G
November 05, 2004 09:17PM
Lyn, is your catering business in Ruahine Street? opp the Hospital?
Call Pam at the Hospice about your platter, as I always pass them to her to be returned. Pop in and say Hi next time you're in, as it would be lovely to put a face to the name!smiling smiley
Cheers
Raewynsmiling smiley
November 05, 2004 11:14PM
Had the best Guy Fawkes night in years... we went with our 15 yr old son, and friends to see Farenheit 9/11, and then out for dinner. NO FIREWORKS!!! I've never really enjoyed Guy Fawkes, as most private displays are a bit pathetic, and it seems such a waste to see all that money going up in smoke. ( As well there is the safety aspect). I can see the merit though of good public displays. This year we were asked out to the movie, before we got the invite to a GUy Fawkes night party.... so for once could honestly say no. Other yrs we have gone out and I have reluctantly bought fireworks to share. So this time even though the movie was a bit sobering, it was great to feel like the money was well spent. Incidently had a really nice meal!
And in case you feel sorry for our son, he wanted to see the movie more than I did, after having read some of Michael Moore's books, and he was more than happy to swap fireworks, for a beautiful piece of pork fillet cooked in a nice cafe!
November 11, 2004 12:08AM
No rain on Waiheke and we desperately need it for the tanks. I washed my windows thinking if I do that it will bring on the rain :-)))
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.