Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

HELP re AVG / OutlookExpress

Posted by Mnemosyne 
HELP re AVG / OutlookExpress
November 13, 2004 03:30AM
On an older link (can't remember which) people were discussing the benefits of AVG which I downloaded last night but since then I can't receive or send any emails. Anyone out there who downloaded AVG have this problem? If so what did you do to rectify. ?:-( Thanks.....
Raewyn G
Re: HELP re AVG / OutlookExpress
November 13, 2004 06:53AM
It did happen to me but not with AVG. Dont get me wrong I am NOT a computer expert, infact very much a novice, BUT I contacted my server and found out that I had too many firewalls!!!!
So my suggestion is contact you server and they will talk you through the process if something else is un-necessary and needs to be deleted.
I deleted one program, which I still don't know what its value was, and all is well!
Good luck
Raewyn
November 14, 2004 05:39AM
Hi,

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet or not, but AVG's version 6 software will be taken out of service in December. They have a new version 7 now, so if you're running AVG, update at

[free.grisoft.com]

Regards
Claire
[www.quirk.co.nz]
November 14, 2004 06:24AM
Claire went to the website as advised but could not find the free 7 version of AVG to download. Any suggestions please.?:-(Thanks
Mary

November 14, 2004 10:38AM
I think the AVG website was down earlier, it's going again now...

Claire
[www.Quirk.co.nz]
November 15, 2004 06:34AM
Thanks Claire have now installed the latest version. When I went in yesterday it said menu empty, guess that is their way of saying the site is down. Thanks for alerting us to the latest version.
Regards
Marywinking smiley

COMP. VIRUSES ETC
November 18, 2004 11:57PM
Re my first message I took my computer into a company called Neptune on Waiheke Island ` brilliant. For $50 my machine was scanned for 14 hours and they found over 400 viruses. Prior to downloading AVG it was going abit slow but that was all. AVG reacted with Norton's hence the BIG problems I was experiencing, but a word of warning, you can get viruses just by being on-line. I was told that Norton's, one of the best anti virus programmes, only picks up about 87% of viruses now. AVG and other programmes are not meant to run together but sometimes will do so without too many problems. AVG doesn't find as many viruses as Norton's. Both Norton's and AVG scanned my computer and said "NO VIRUSES FOUND"
These viruses aren't made to harm your machine but they are made to GET IN.... as the saying goes. Their main purpose is, apparently, to use the computer like a proxy server and send on spam to other computers. It is not using your address book to do this.
There are also what I call cling ons we should be aware of and should all have, according to the computer experts I know, ad-aware and spy-bot programmes, both free downloads, and these should be run at least twice a week. It is amazing how many cookies and other nasties wll latch onto your computer in a few days.
According to the wonder boys at Neptune the best thing to do is to get rid of Windows and install LINUX. You can run just about all of your windows programmes with LINUX and it NO VIRUSES ATTACK IT. All viruses are directed at WINDOWS. I will be making the changeover in the New Year for sure.
Lyn
November 19, 2004 02:56AM
One computer tutor I know uses Linux, is very anti microsoft and recommended I look at [www.grc.com] I've had a brief look and will go back into it when I have more time.
I do have to wonder Mnemosyne why, if linux is not attacked by viruses, this same tutor has AVG, updates daily, and of course also has firewalls, Adaware, and Spybot.
?:-( Lyn.

Lyn ( P. Nth)
November 19, 2004 12:02PM
It wont be long before the idiots who create viruses will decide to add Linux to their list of targets.?:-(

From a pessimist in P.Nth!!
November 21, 2004 02:31AM
Yes I do agree with you re Linux could be targeted soon but because of the type of viruses these are, ie ones that just get in and not from sites or emails, it isn't really worth their while to attack Linux (yet) as not enough users worldwide use it. If we keep this quiet..... :-o and not too many people know about it, maybe we can keep it virus free for longer. SO the reason they are still using an anti-virus and firewall programme means you can still be sent a virus via email but those are nasty viruses which attack your machine or address book whereas the others that just get in and use your machine as a proxy server need 100's and 100's of computers to affect to make it worthwhile to send all their spam on hence they will go on attacking only Windows for some time yet. One would hope?:-(
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.