Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

small technical query??

Posted by Renée 
small technical query??
November 26, 2004 10:09PM
I'm not complaining but wondering if others find it a bit irritating having to scroll down sometimes long lists of messages (36 and 44 length threads on this forum alone and often many more on the foodie site)) to get to the latest one posted??

I am only a member of one other forum and on that one when you open the thread it immediately takes you to the last message you yourself posted and those posted thereafter - if you haven't posted anything it takes you to the last couple of messages - and you have the option of reading back through what else is on there if you wish.

Is this clear as mud?? I'm not good at explaining anything technical but does anyone understand what I am getting at ?:-(

In other words - is it possible to speed up the process????

Re: small technical query??
November 26, 2004 10:28PM
Yes, Renee, simply hit the 'end' button on your keyboard and it will immediately take you to the bottom of the page and you can then scroll back to where you want to start reading. Similarly, when at the bottom of the page you can hit the 'home' key and you'll be taken back to the top of the page. I am, of course, talking about the set of keys between the alphabetic and numeric pads on your keyboard.

Lorna
November 26, 2004 10:28PM
crtl "end" will take you to the very end......
November 26, 2004 11:11PM
Ctrl not needed. Simply 'end' does exactly that.

Lorna
November 26, 2004 11:18PM
If it is something you are really interested in you can get the replies sent back to you by email so just get the new ones all the time on your interested topic.
November 26, 2004 11:21PM
Renee - thank you for asking!!! I find scrolling down tedious as well. Now we know what to do smiling smiley
November 27, 2004 12:54AM
Yes - that END button is wonderful. I had spent months scrolling down until someone wonderful - think it may have been Megan who pointed it out to new members.

I sometimes wish we could use it on people.

I have a family member - won't say which relationship or you will all think I'm terrible - but she has this habit of reciting at least 4 paragraphs before she "gets to the point". I would darely love to push the END button at times. Especially on phone calls - during peak hours.............

This doesn't read too good - oh well - judge me if you will - I can take it. Another bit of stress won't hurt. I'm sure you all know people like I'm talking about.

Cheers

November 27, 2004 12:56AM
exactly Raewyn - don't feel guilty about it. Thats where the answering machine comes in handy at times, I wait and hear the message and see who it is before i decide whether I feel like talking or not - ooops did I just confess to that :-o
November 27, 2004 02:46AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you - as often happens the answer is in my own hands - just that I didn't know what it was :/

Nellie
November 27, 2004 03:07AM
I have a confession!!!! When my girlfriend and I get together over a couple of wines, hic, we waffle on like nothing on earth. We can be yakking away get totally lost and off the track and forget what it was we were originally talking about. Anyone else get themselves in this situation? So Raewyn if you were in our company you would have to hit the 'end' button quite frequently me thinks!!! Cheers to all friends like her and I.
Raewyn G
November 27, 2004 05:23AM
I know and work with her Nellie, and I know she wouldn't do that to you and your friend. Anyway she would probably join you for some wines too. Then it would be hilarious!!!!!!! She is one of the lovely people I know!!!!
Regards,
Raewyn Gsmiling smiley

November 27, 2004 07:09AM
Nellie - that story is delightful - you have to admit somewhat different from what I was describing tho.

It's different with friends - friends are there to ramble with - and it's even better with a bit of plonk.

The Udder Raewyn is right - I wouldn't hit the END button.

I just meant it would be a handy tool for "some" people in the right situation.

Gosh what a lovely afternoon I have had in the garden. My first bit of proper gardening in 5 months - due to a shoulder injury at work. - No - not from Udder Raewyn pulling my arm either. I found this dear little concrete teddy almost buried amongst the undergrowth. I forgot he was even there. He is presently emersed in a lovely bowl of warm soapy water waiting for a back scrub with an old toothbursh. Better go....

November 27, 2004 09:43PM
Nellie

This thread alone demonstrates your introduction of the subject of wandering conversations. Start at one point, and look where we've gone and how many subjects we've touched on just in a couple of days. Just the pleasure of a many sided conversation with good friends!

Lorna smiling smiley
November 29, 2004 12:19AM
I think it depends on you computer. I have to hit Ctrl end, as just hitting "end", doen't work on my PC
November 29, 2004 03:07AM
Exactly Lorna..........
November 29, 2004 03:09AM
Jenny, if you have numbers lock on then "end" won't work. Ensure the little light is off, then try pushing End (number 1).

Linda.
November 29, 2004 05:15AM
Linda - thank you - you've taught me something.

I have never used that "END" button - in fact in all honestly never even noticed it before.

I use the other END button - in the middle of the second row to the right of delete.

Well well - learn something new every day - don't we?

Don't you just love this forum?
November 29, 2004 05:20AM
Raewyn,

I will just have to get my husband to read your post, as he thinks I'm pretty dumb on the computer. Its just he knows a whole heap more than me about them.
Glad I was able to help.

Linda.
November 29, 2004 06:57AM
Now Linda

Are you getting your hubby to read my post to show that I am dumber than you - or that you were able to teach me something

couldn't help but wonder.................
November 29, 2004 07:33AM
Raewyn,

That I was able to teach somebody something and they actually understood. grinning smiley grinning smiley

Linda.
November 29, 2004 09:54AM
Oh - I see - altho I would've been quite happy for you to prove someone was thicker than you when it came to computers.

Regards
Kay
December 01, 2004 07:00AM
Hi Raewyn
Thanks for the info. Like Renee spent more time scrollinng than reading. Kay
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.