Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bugging me????????

Posted by Raewyn G 
Raewyn G
Bugging me????????
November 28, 2004 06:54PM
Lately I have seen an invasion of a lady bird sized bug, but it has an electric blue coloured outer. Can anyone enlighten me as to the name of this wee creature, as I would like to do a search and find out more about it. I know the wee devils like me and bite, causing me to scratch madly:-o!!!!!!
So.................any clues please??????:-(
Regards
Raewyn

Re: Bugging me????????
November 28, 2004 09:16PM
I wonder if we have imported the Steelblue Ladybird Beetle from Queensland Raewyn??

[www.geocities.com]

Jennifer
November 28, 2004 09:22PM
"The steelblue ladybird was introduced to New Zealand from Australia in 1899 and 1905 for the control of black scale and blue gum scale..."
November 28, 2004 10:28PM
Jennifer - you never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge - would love to have you at a dinner party.

Sorry Raewyn - can't help you with the beetles - are they at home or work? If they are at work you will have to introduce me to one when I'm on duty on Tues. Perhaps we would admit it for "observation and assessment".
Raewyn G
November 29, 2004 06:52AM
That's them the wee blighters!!!! Thank you so much for your help. Dunno why they bite me, I'm a bit more than they could chew!!!!! Isn't that right Raewyn????? hahahahaha. And I have no scale insects on me, damm them. Sorry but I kill them now, but in future I will put them outside away from the house. Maybe it's because they have gum trees at the school next door! They are pretty to look at but there'll be no free dinners from me from now on!!!!! :}
Thanks again,
Raewyn
November 30, 2004 03:09AM
They are very common on our Northland citrus trees Have always given them a pat on the back as all ladybirds seem to enjoy munching on aphids. I didn't realise that they could bite. Interesting!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.