Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bread recipes wanted

Posted by SueB 
Bread recipes wanted
February 16, 2009 12:13AM
I bought a jar of Tasti Active Dried Yeast recently to make calzone bread but I would also like to use it to make other breads. I don't have a bread making machine.

Tasty bread recipes, including wholemeal bread, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Bread recipes wanted
February 16, 2009 08:59PM
Click the search button in the blue/grey stripe at the top of the posts (NOT the one in the black box at the top of the page) and type in artisan bread and tick all dates. There have been a few in-depth conversations, including recipes, about hand-made breads. But to start you off, here's the recipe I use for Focaccia:

1 cup tepid water
20 g fresh or 1 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp ground sea salt
2 cups flour
extra virgine olive oil
toppings: coarse sea salt, rosemary, olives...really anything you fancy

Dissolve the yeast (either dry or fresh) in the tepid water.

Add the yeast/water mix to a larger bowl together with a cup of flour and the salt, stir for about 2 minutes.

Then add another cup of flour, stir again for just about 3-4 minutes. The dough should not be overworked, it's consistency will remain quite soft and sticky - it's not the type of dough you can shape much with your hands, but if you feel it's too soft add an extra 2-3 tbsp of flour.

If your timing allows, keep the dough refrigerated until the next day (it really does make a difference!) if not, then a few hours in a warm and draft free spot will do as well. However, if chilled, remove dough from fridge about 2 hours before baking.

Preheat oven to 230°C. Carefully pour dough on an oiled baking tray or tin to not ruin its fluffiness (I put baking paper on the tray first, no need to oil it or the tray) and use your finger tips to pull the dough into the shape you'd like to give the Focaccia. Don't worry about punching holes into it, they'll be gone before the Focaccia leaves the oven - in fact, they even add to a wanted non-perfect rustic style.

Note: Dipping your finger tips briefly in olive oil will keep the dough from sticking too much to them.Sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, coarse sea salt, chopped herbs and optionally olives or other toppings your heart desires. If you like your Focaccia more oily (like I do!), pour a little olive oil in the dents.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top, you may want to turn on the grill for the last minutes to speed things up a bit. Then remove from the oven (and the tray or tin) and place on a rack to cool.

February 17, 2009 03:07AM
Lorna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Click the search button in the blue/grey stripe at
> the top of the posts (NOT the one in the black box
> at the top of the page) and type in artisan bread
> and tick all dates.

Thanks for that Lorna. Putting the magic word "artisan" in the search field did the trick.

Will check out all the results and give your recipe a go sometime.
February 18, 2009 10:33AM
I make Jamie Ollivers basic bread recipe that can be made into foccacia, herb, wholemeal etc, it also makes fantastic snaps - crunchy bread twists that are great with dips and the kids love them. Took them to a sports day and they all disappeared in 15 mins, and I made LOADS of them!

Cheers Julianne
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.