Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Left Over Roast Pork.

Posted by marylew 
Left Over Roast Pork.
May 11, 2017 09:33AM
If you have had pork roasted as a meal one night how do you use the left over meat for the next meal? I thought that once it is roasted it may be too dry to use any other way other than being reheated in a gravy.This is all I have ever done.Any ideas please.
Re: Left Over Roast Pork.
May 12, 2017 02:03AM
I cut it into small cubes and add it to any type of meal that has a well flavoured sauce: pasta, rice, barley, buckwheat, etc. Add some quick cooking or pre-cooked vegetables and you have a one-pan meal.

Or use the cold sliced pork in sandwiches for lunch, with condiments such as pickles, chutneys and salad dressings, Add some sort of 'greenery' or tomatoes and anything else that takes your fancy.
May 12, 2017 03:09AM
I often do this, based on Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall's advice for turning left over meat into a meal. For two servings:

200 - 400g cooked pork, chicken, lamb or beef, sliced fairly thinly
2 large onions, thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced (optional)
50g butter or 50 ml olive oil
1/2 c black or green olives
1/2 c golden raisins, currants or other dried fruit
salt and pepper
1/2 c chopped parsley

In a large frying pan cook onions and garlic in butter or oil over low heat for about 30 minutes until caramelised. Add meat, olives, fruit and seasoning, toss over med-high heat for about 10 minutes until the meat is starting to brown at the edges. Add parsley and serve with wedges of lemon or chutney. I sometimes add left over cooked potato, kumara or pumpkin.
May 13, 2017 09:56AM
Thanks for these good ideas,will definitely love to try some thing different.
May 14, 2017 01:51AM
Leftover roast pork is very good in Vietnamese recipes such as rice paper summer rolls and also in Banh Mi Pork Rolls, easy and different. For the summer rolls you can use a combination of pork and cooked prawns or just pork and even the kids love them.
May 15, 2017 07:57AM
I usually roast extra veges when we have roast pork, then the next day I put them in cous cous along with the left over chopped up pork with a mustard, honey and lemon juice dressing.
Enjoy
Stephanie
May 15, 2017 08:30AM
Thanks Danube and Stephanie.These are the ideas I need to take me out of my comfort zone as I mentioned by reheating in a gravy the next day.I am too staid in my ways obviously.
May 15, 2017 11:24AM
I havent tried this but have often wondered how to use it up and keep it nice and moist.
What about a creamy mustard sauce - like a bechamal sauce or like a chicken pie filling?
Even make mini pot pies topped with a mash or pastry top?
Shredded in an omelette or frittata ?

Vanessa
May 15, 2017 01:23PM
Add to a fried rice...last minute, so it just heats through and doesn't dry out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.