Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Onions

Posted by Ali W 
Onions
August 05, 2018 09:03AM
I was watching a film on TV in which the leading man was cooking dinner during a domestic scene. His eyes were streaming as he chopped the onions which got me to thinking....I can't remember the last time onions made me “cry” and I use them regularly.

Have they been modified to take away that irritant that used to be there?
Re: Onions
August 05, 2018 09:20AM
I'm still an onion crier.
August 05, 2018 09:25AM
I do sometimes, rarely though. A quick online shows there is a lot of debate about why some make people cry and some don't. From soil conditions and level of sulphur in the soil to variety and age of the onion!
August 05, 2018 09:36AM
I don't tend to cry, but I put that down to the fact that I've become a pretty efficient onion chopper over the years, I was teaching my son's girlfriend (who has special needs) to make one of his favourite casseroles the other day, and she chopped so slowly we were both in tears and I had to take over to get it done!
August 05, 2018 09:38AM
I think it’s do do with speed, the sharpness of the knife, and technique - if you lean over the onion you will suffer more than if you stand back. I rarely have problems but once in a while will strike a particularly pungent onion and tears will be shed.
August 05, 2018 11:04AM
Maybe it's because I now wear glasses - never thought of that!
August 10, 2018 11:38PM
Some seem stronger than others for sure.
Often I dont cry but occasionally I bawl LOL

Vanessa
August 11, 2018 02:03AM
Yes, I think a sharp knife has something to do with it too. Slicing through the cells cleanly rather than crushing them.
August 20, 2018 11:59AM
I'm a crier when it comes to onions but I have several pairs of 'onion glasses' and they do the trick. My first pair came from Jo Seagar's Cook shop some years ago (sadly closed now) and the other pair from Victoria's Basement in Sydney - those ones look like Dame Edna glasses with diamontes! :-)

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 01:19PM by Jacki1.
August 20, 2018 11:52PM
I've got into the habit of using my mandolin, complete with 'Mexican Hat' to slice my onions. It means I don't have to cut the root off first, which, I believe, is where most of the stinging stuff comes from. I've got several different blades to choose from meaning I can cut thick to very thin rings or chuncky chip pieces to very fine, almost grated pieces.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.