Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Soups

Posted by Vanessa45 
Soups
August 21, 2018 03:48AM
I know we are HOPEFULLY on the way out with winter BUT I love soups and make them all the time.

I usually boil up a stock with the leftover bones from a pre-cooked chicken (using 2 increases the flavour) and add whatever vegetables I have on hand.

I just discovered how good mushrooms are in a soup. They are a winning ingredient and add such a gutsy flavour to the soup. I often add a few cloves of garlic.

Carrots are another winner, the sweetness with the chicken flavour is delicious.

Any other winning staples I need to start using?

Vanessa
Re: Soups
August 21, 2018 06:46AM
Pearl barley.
August 21, 2018 08:04AM
Some macaroni, can of savoury tomatoes also add flavour a bit like minestrone. I often buy a smoked bacon hock about $4 in supermarket boil it up with split peas or lentils with lots of veggies, cut the meat off the bone once all cooked & put back in pot, very tasty.
August 21, 2018 09:58PM
One of my favourite home made soups is chicken, kumara and a can of creamed sweetcorn.
August 22, 2018 02:53AM
Red lentils
August 22, 2018 02:50PM
Cauliflower is simply amazing in soup. I make Helen's recipe which is basically onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, thyme and stock cooked and blended and it's so yum.
August 23, 2018 09:42AM
Like Marnie, red lentils. Mine is a thick soup and i start it off with a couple of tablespoons of red curry paste. We like it spicy.

Edited. Auto-predict does awful things if you are not carefuleye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 09:45AM by Chris.
August 30, 2018 02:47PM
Thanks, Im still hooked on the mushrooms especially with an amazing rich chicken stock, I always add garlic, thyme, loads of black pepper and a glug of cream - its seriously good and very moorish.

Vanessa
July 13, 2019 09:08AM
Hi,

Roasted vegetables , broth/stock and kings soup mix make a delicious soup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.