Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Sally Lunn Bun recipe

Posted by amwilliams 
Sally Lunn Bun recipe
May 10, 2020 07:54AM
Just made the Sally Lunn Bun recipe and it seems a very wet mixture.
Used Agria potatoes and when I put the mix on the tray it has gone quite runny and flat.
I used 1 cup of milk like the recipe said. Has anyone else had this problem?
J1
Re: Sally Lunn Bun recipe
May 10, 2020 12:31PM
I have made a Sally Lunn in the past but don’t seem to have kept a record of the recipe.

I’m guessing you mean the Sally Lunn Bun recipe from Foodlovers Recipes which has 1 cup potato, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 cup sultanas, 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 cup milk.

It’s quite similar to Allyson Gofton’s recipe except hers has only quarter of a cup of milk and she says “sufficient milk to make a stiff dough”, plus hers doesn’t have an egg. So it sounds like an egg plus 1 cup of milk in the foodlovers recipe is just too much liquid.
[www.allysongofton.co.nz]
1 cup potato, 1 cup sugar, no egg, ½ cup sultanas, 2 cups self-raising flour, bit of salt, quarter cup of milk

But then this recipe [roamingtaste.com] Boston Bun Adapted from NZ Woman’s Weekly magazine - has similar ingredients also – no egg but does have 1 cup of milk:
1 cup potato, ¾ cup sugar, no egg, 2/3 cup sultanas, 2 cups flour, 2½ tspns baking powder, ¼ tspn salt, 1 cup milk.

And this one is the same again [www.kidspot.com.au]
1 cup potato, 1 cup sugar, no egg, 1 cup sultanas, 2 cups self-raising flour, 1 tspn grd cinnamon, 1 cup milk

Then there’s this one [bramasole.nz] which, once again, has no egg, plus uses less milk: 1 cup potato, ¾ cup sugar, no egg, 1 cup sultanas, 2 cups flour, 2 tspns baking powder, ½ cup milk

In summary, you could delete the egg because none of the other recipes have egg. if that doesn’t fix the surplus liquid problem, the 1 cup of milk probably also needs reducing.
May 10, 2020 10:42PM
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Yes I did use the Foodlovers recipe.

After I had made the recipe, I found the Allyson Gofton recipe with only 1/4 cup of milk which is very different amount from 1 cup of milk but both recipes with 2 cups of flour.

It tastes nice but is very flat. Next time will try it with only 1/4 cup milk. I think the only other thing I should have done was cook it in a cake tin rather than on a tray like it said.
May 10, 2020 10:49PM
Just looking at my mother's old Boston Bun recipe which I remember making at home as a kid. Interestingly it does not contain potato although it does have an egg, only 2 tblsp sugar (1c seems like a lot for 2c flour) and 'about' 1/2c milk, so agree 1c milk would seems to be way too much.

As an aside, we called them Boston Buns in the South Island, whereas Sally Lunn seemed to be a North Island word.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 10, 2020 10:57PM
Averil, I didn't see your last post before I posted my reply. You shouldn't need to use a cake tin - the mixture should be firm enough to form into a round shape and hold up by itself (in fact my mother's recipe says to divide the mixture in two).

Also if you are using potato, suggest cooking it a few hours ahead or the day before and let it get really dry before adding it the mixture - I do that when I make hash browns, tuna patties or anything else that needs mashed potato.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 10, 2020 11:33PM
Thanks Barbara Anne
I looked up an old hand written recipe book of mine last night after I had made it, and found the recipe with the smaller amount of milk too, so will stick to that. It ended up tasting nice and the texture was fine but just very flat.

We are Southlanders but did live in Auckland for a few years many years ago. So I am never sure which name to call it. Thanks for your comment re the name!
Averil
May 11, 2020 01:23AM
I never ever realised a Sally Lun/Boston Bun had mashed potato in it. Of course then I had to ask my best friend Mr Google, where did the name Sally Lun originate from. Interesting read here as to the history.

Thanks for your question Averil, as I am going to give it a go.
May 13, 2020 03:04AM
I know I have made the recipe but not for some time so will try it again tomorrow.
here is Virgil's feature on Sally Lunn and his recipe.
May 14, 2020 02:42AM
I'm not really interested in making a Sally Lunn with or without mashed potato but I loved reading Virgil's piece about them. Thanks, Helen!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.