Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The competence of slotted spoons

Posted by J1 
J1
The competence of slotted spoons
July 05, 2020 02:38AM
Slotted spoons really don't work that well for draining liquid from food. They're certainly not super at getting rid of excess water with poached eggs. I thought something like [www.savebarn.co.nz] or [www.williams-sonoma.com] might be better.

What do you do to drain your poached eggs?

Do you use slotted spoons or something better to drain liquid from food?
Re: The competence of slotted spoons
July 05, 2020 04:35AM
I think you would find that those wire lifters would be too rough and would snag the egg and break it. You need something very smooth so the egg will slide off without breaking.

I use a nylon egg slice, but it does need a steady hand otherwise the egg can fall off back into the pan.
July 05, 2020 04:36AM
I like the old retro utensils from the 60's and look on Trademe to find these treasures, although they're getting expensive these days. These ones are on at the moment.

[www.trademe.co.nz]

I think Skyline is the Brand name, Made in England. I love the fish slice too they are very thin metal and flexible. There are a couple of good ones from this era still around.

[www.trademe.co.nz]

Some are in better condition than others though.

Edited to put in the correct 2nd link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2020 06:20AM by Danube.
J1
July 05, 2020 05:54AM
I had that set for a long time Danube. I particularly liked the potato masher and kept that much longer than the others.
July 05, 2020 06:03AM
My Mum had that set.
For removing poached eggs I do use a slotted spoon, but find if I rest the spoon on a paper towel briefly it seems to draw off the water, and I kind of slightly tilt the spoon from side to side to allow the water to find a path away from the egg.
July 05, 2020 06:05AM
For poached eggs I use a small stainless steel sieve: [www.briscoes.co.nz]
Lynne2
July 05, 2020 06:28AM
These old style slotted spoons have lots more slots all the way around the spoon and drain much much better than any modern one I have bought. Only thing is they can't be put in the dishwasher because they have painted wooden handles, a nightmare if you have people helping do the dishes, but I think they're worth the hassle. The egg turner/fish slice is much better too because they're nice and bendy and can get in under things to pick up without breaking them up, They come in a long style fish slice too which I'm keeping a look out for because mine is getting past it. smiling smiley
July 05, 2020 07:01AM
Yes agree, Danube, those old wooden-handled utensils were the best - my slotted spoon is the only remaining piece of my set and the paint has long since disappeared off the handle. I use it mainly for poached eggs.

I also have a brown silicone slotted spoon which I bought at Foodtown over 30 years ago - in fact we call it the Foodtown spoon. I like it because it has a deeper bowl than the metal one and although it doesn't drain as well, it certainly has its uses. Funny how you reach for different utensils for different jobs.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
sue
July 05, 2020 07:16AM
I use a fish slice to take the egg out and then rest it on a paper towel to get rid of the excess water. easy
J1
July 05, 2020 08:29AM
Like Griz and Sue, I've tilted my slotted spoon (and used a fish slice - bit scary) and rested it on paper towel, etc, but I remain thinking the slotted spoon just isn't doing it's job well enough and it's time for a new idea. Lynne2, excellent, just what I was thinking and now on my list for Monday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2020 08:29AM by J1.
July 05, 2020 08:37AM
..was just looking with newfound respect at my old slotted spoon. Made in England is stamped on the metal part.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 05, 2020 09:56AM
Barbara Anne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. Funny how you reach for different utensils
> for different jobs.
>
I have a long utensil rack over the kitchen bench, more than 2 m. I can always tell which visitors are cooks and which aren't - the cooks say "Oh how wonderful to have all that space for all the fish slices/vegetable peelers/serving spoons, while the non-cooks say "Why do you need seven fish slices/three vegetable peelers/four rice spoons etc".
July 05, 2020 12:06PM
I use a fish slice or potato masher to get eggs out of the water.
July 05, 2020 12:39PM
I use a slotted spoon for lifting poached eggs but as mentioned above I also pat the spoon on the underside with a paper towel.
July 05, 2020 01:50PM
I love those Skyline fish slices, there is absolutely nothing better.

I use a cuisinart skimmer for poached eggs and it works well. I can rest it on a paper towel and that soaks up any residual liquid underneath. I tried the wire spider style before the skimmer and it found it too deep and the egg did catch on the wire and the tumbled around rather than gently sliding.

[www.briscoes.co.nz]

This looks like it could be an option if you were looking for a more spider like utensil.

[www.nisbets.co.nz]
J1
July 05, 2020 11:45PM
I'm thinking I should get a better fish slice while I'm at it....

Jenna, that Nisbets one has potential too.
July 06, 2020 06:16AM
A friend was just rhapsodising yesterday about the amazingness of her particular slotted spoon for draining poached eggs. She didn't say what it was but she said she would buy me one so if she does I'll let you knowsmiling smiley. I think, though, that it might have been a Good Grips one as she has a tremor and uses Good Grips for a lot of things.
July 09, 2020 01:41AM
I like a fish slice too for poached eggs - I have a plastic one but it's slightly bendy rather than stiff which makes it easy to get under the eggs if using a small pan.
July 09, 2020 05:11AM
Fish slice, either metal or plastic........for the past 35 years of my career
July 10, 2020 04:23AM
I avoid the issue altogether by using an aluminium egg poacher - the simmering water sits below a rack which has shallow cups for each egg, and a lid keeps the steam in. It's very old, but works perfectly.
July 10, 2020 04:27AM
Karena, I had one of those many many years ago. It worked well but I found it a pain to clean. My husband is in charge of poached eggs because he is really good at it. He uses a fish slice.
July 10, 2020 08:05AM
I have an egg poacher and never use it, somehow it's not quite a poached egg to me. I had a poached egg this morning, and my slotted spoon was in the dishwasher, which was running, so I looked for something else to use, and came across a cocktail strainer, so I used that and it worked perfectly! (but would need a longer handle I think)
J1
July 10, 2020 08:51AM
We've had an egg poacher for decades and used to use it a lot but then I came to like the randomness of freely poached eggs so haven't used it in a long time. I should try it again. We actually use the pot part every day (it's a beautiful Murray, copper-bottomed perfect size pan with straight half sides that we use as a jack-of-all-trades for anything and everything) and it's only the poached egg (3) insert that's on holiday in the drawer.

Chris, you mentioned you found the egg poachers difficult to clean. The trick is to grease them with a little bit of butter, just as you would a cake pan or muffin tins. Not only does this make cleaning an absolute breeze, it also makes the eggs taste a tiny bit better.

Griz, I had to look up cocktail strainer. Interesting device. I still haven't bought anything to solve the incompetence of my slotted spoon, as I'm up against my ingrained anti-buying bias and it's winning so far, telling me I should just get my eggs out with my existing slotted spoon and then tip them into my existing sieve. I haven't tried it yet but I'll have to or I'll be at stalemate. I had the same problem with gloves recently - none of my gloves keep my hands warm enough so I thought I need to buy ski gloves or something. Then my anti-buying bias kicked in and said why not just wear two pairs of your existing gloves at once? Well, one pair did fit inside another and it worked a treat so I had to cross ski gloves off my list again....... The perils of anti-consumerism....

I can already predict that if my-existing-slotted-spoon-tipping-egg-into-my-existing-sieve doesn't work, I shall be forced by myself to return to using my existing Murray egg poacher....
July 10, 2020 08:58AM
Yes - I should have said that I grease the cups with a little butter. The fact that they are basically steaming makes them very close to the poached-in-water eggs in texture, and as J1 says, the butter adds to the flavour.
July 10, 2020 11:32PM
I've mentioned before on Foodlovers that I use the little silicone-type cups that those 2 or 4 to a pack ready-made jellies and steamed pudding come in for poaching my eggs. I do smear a little butter on them but it's not really necessary, it's more for flavour. Prick the yolk and the white in a couple of places with a toothpick or similar, place on a plate, cover with a paper towel and microwave on medium. The time varies, probably according to the age of the eggs, but if you check after every minute or so, you should get it right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.