Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Itchy Merino Clothing

Posted by marylew 
Itchy Merino Clothing
May 24, 2015 04:39AM
Does anyone have a solution to stop the itch that you get from wool garments? Very annoying ruins my day.
Re: Itchy Merino Clothing
May 24, 2015 04:57AM
I just put something cotton on underneath.
May 24, 2015 06:00AM
marylew, some people are unfortunate enough to have this happen with wool garments next to the skin. If you are ok with them before they are washed but not after, it could be your laundry powder/cleaner.

Griz has the right idea.
May 24, 2015 06:14AM
No wool comes into our house as the itching is an allergic reaction. As a child it was a nightmare! The invention of sweatshirting and polar fleece made my life worth living.
May 24, 2015 06:43AM
That's interesting that you mention the allergic reaction Stephanie as my skin seems to be much more sensitive as it ages.I might have to use cotton underneath as Griz says.
May 24, 2015 09:58AM
We advise mothers to do put a cotton layer under the lovely merino clothing that is all the rage for newborn babies too. Most infant skin reacts to wool, especially if it gets damp.
May 25, 2015 04:45AM
Marylew I find it is very much brand dependent and the type of wool used.
I can't go near anything with mohair in it, no matter how elegant the garment may look it feels as though I am wearing a scratchy sack.
Workshop (as in the label) merino I also find very uncomfortable.
I think it is trial and error in trying on garments as not all merino is the same.
I find that Icebreaker are great. I wear Icebreaker merino wool camisoles all winter right next to my skin and they soft and lovely. I wear them day and night for about 5 months of the year as I can't bear being cold.
May 25, 2015 08:58AM
Thank you Helen, where can I buy the Icebreaker brand as I will try anything for warmth without itch?
May 25, 2015 09:42AM
I endorse the comments about icebreaker, all their garments are a delight to wear. marylew, if you go to their website they name their stockists for whichever area you require.

[nz.icebreaker.com]
May 26, 2015 02:23AM
Marylew I generally buy Icebreaker at their outlet stores.
If you can get to Auckland airport area, they have an outlet store in the first group of shops near the airport and another up by the Bendon outlet store (Kirkbride rd I think).
The camisoles are generally on sale, particularly if you are not colour fussy.
I have 4 or 5 of them.
The outlet stores stock varies from month to month depending on what is selling well in retail and what isn't.
They also seem to have over runs. It is certainly worth looking if you can get there.
Bev
May 26, 2015 03:13AM
I can't wear any wool products next to my skin so always wear a long sleeved cotton tee underneath. I have tried many different brand of "non itch" merino but they still makes me itch. The cotton tee does the trick.
May 26, 2015 05:46AM
Bev have you tried an Icebreaker camisole on?
I am terrible with wool but these are so soft.
Bev
May 26, 2015 06:53AM
Thank you Helen, no I haven't tried the camisole, I bought an icebreaker long sleeved base layer top which itched so didn't try anything else. Perhaps I should give the camisole a try.
May 26, 2015 10:37PM
Bev, I'm with you, it all itches! My face sometimes goes red and swells with the reaction as well. Pity we can't grow cotton in NZ.winking smiley
June 23, 2015 11:39AM
I'm the same with Merino - can't wear it as it itches like crazy. It doesn't matter if its expensive, cheap or otherwise.

I'm the same with other clothes especially jeans. If the seams are too big and tight to your skin, drive me nuts. I'm all about soft fabric. Unfortunately soft can mean dowdy and baggy! so I'm eternally looking for things like skinny jeans that feel like tracksuit pants.....
June 23, 2015 11:29PM
Have you all read the item in the paper about the girl with skinny jeans. It's a real eye-opener and warning about this fashion item. Here's the link from yesterdays NZ Herald:
[www.nzherald.co.nz]
July 28, 2015 02:22AM
Like Dawn, in the next post, I have returned to this one of mine and changed it as it no longer bears any relevance to the rest of the thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 12:07AM by Lorna.
July 28, 2015 04:11AM
The (advertising) thread has been removed so I have removed my comment as it is no longer pertinent to the subject.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 06:58AM by Dawn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.