Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Latest Netflix FAV

Posted by Vanessa45 
Re: Latest Netflix FAV
August 08, 2018 10:46AM
Just adding to GREAT ondemand viewing for those addicted like me ;-)

Girlfriends - TV ONEDEMAND - Loved it!
Janet King - Series 2 - Aussie crime - Netflix
The Staircase - a real life court saga, really interesting - Netflix
The Sinner - Netflix
La Mante - Netflix
Dark Tourist - Kiwi presenter Netflix, very interesting and weird
The letdown - amazing if youre a NEW MUM, its just what you need to feel good about the tough times - Netflix

Im currently watching Jane the virgin (I know, sounds terrible) however its endearing and lighthearted (Netflix)
Sisters - TV ONEDEMAND
My sister said the 15m Anikka Moa shorts are great.

I better stop now or you will think I have no life ;-)

Vanessa
August 09, 2018 12:37AM
Vanessa, you are the third person in a week to recommend Dark Tourist on Netflix. Which means I have to watch it.

I think I put it in another thread somewhere, but a great bake off show for all the family which is hilarious and realistic is Nailed It. Had myself and the grandies in fits of laughter

On Demand - Claws. Loved it I just started watching it to see the nail art, then got hooked and George got hooked as well. Definitely not family viewing.

I have started Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Still on season 1 and not gripping watching

And now Orange Is the New Black is back with a new season as is Better Call Saul - so am hoping for some horrible wet weekends to allow for a binge session smiling smiley
August 09, 2018 01:47AM
Stranger Things (Netflix) -- not my usual subject matter, but it was so very well done. We had put off watching it for a long time, but so very many people had recommended it that we finally did. It was one of the few shows that we have ended up forgoing a decent weeknight bedtime in order to watch "just one more episode". The characters and story were the draw than the sci-fi'ish aspect. Can't wait for season 3 -- but I'm sure it won't be able to live up to season 1. Kind of a strange mash up of The Goonies meets X-Files.

We're currently re-watching Deadwood (Amazon Prime) for about the 4th time. It just doesn't get old. Both the dialogue and acting are just fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 01:49AM by Jenna.
August 09, 2018 02:40AM
Irene, you can make that four recommendations for The Dark Tourist - it is basically a travel show but he travels to fascinating destinations.

Also just finished Occupied - a political drama set in Norway with lots of interesting twists along the way. Some if it is subtitled (and I can't usually tolerate subtitles) but the plot and the twists were gripping.

And like Vanessa, I too would recommend The Sinner. I like that it was a twist on the traditional whodunnit - we know from the first episode who did it, but the intrigue is in why she did it.
August 26, 2018 01:17PM
Thanks for all the recommendations for Dark Tourist, we watched the first episode this evening and really enjoyed it. We'll be watching the rest of the series.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
August 27, 2018 08:28AM
Vanessa is Modus subtitled? Can't watch those as I knit or sew while “listening to tv”
August 28, 2018 02:06AM
I hate subtitles, anyway. I consider myself a good reader but reading the subtitles means I don't get to see the picture of what they're talking about before it changes. And many subtitles are written in the same colour as the background, so can't be read without difficulty anyway! I have requested to Netflix that they indicate on their mini-previews if the film is in a foreign language. They have responded saying they will certainly give it consideraitation.
August 28, 2018 02:31AM
Beg to differ regarding subtitles. I am looking at it from hubby's point of view where English is his second language - he loves Netflix for the fact that he can read what they are saying. I have never had a problem with subtitled movies either - I can remember when SBS first started in Melbourne, and all the movies were subtitled as they were all foreign movies. I guess that is where I learnt to appreciate subtitles as well - and some actors do mumble!
August 28, 2018 03:21AM
The mumbling drives me mad! Especially when the background music is so loud that it is no longer in the background. I can't work out if we need to replace our (not very old) television set with a newer and bigger one with better speakers, or if the problem is with the production values and the modern tendency of including regional accents in British dramas. But I can remember watching Taggart many years ago and not having much problem with his heavy Glaswegian accent, so maybe its the tv.
August 28, 2018 03:24AM
I think it is the standard of acting - I have trouble deciphering what has been said and this is on a brand new TV?
August 28, 2018 07:14AM
We bought a sound bar and linked everything through it. great sound now! Our TV was not old but we found the sound to be shallow.
August 30, 2018 12:26AM
If you loved Anne of Green Gables when you were young I highly recommend watching 'Anne with an E.' Brilliant cinematography, casting, locations. Sound clarity. Amybeth McNulty who plays Anne is a joyous miracle and still only 16! Yes ... I'm raving, but some of you will understand.
September 01, 2018 01:14PM
Yep OnDemand TVONE is really good.

Im currently watching Jack Irish (Aussie) - and loving it and there is HEAPS to watch, a series, and 2 TV movies I think.

Jack Irish is a television drama series and a series of Australian television movies adapted from the detective novels by Peter Temple.[2] The series stars Guy Pearce in the lead role of Jack Irish, a former criminal lawyer turned private investigator and debt collector. The novels have been adapted by screenwriters Andrew Knight and Matt Cameron, and directed by Jeffrey Walker (the telemovies) and Kieran Darcy-Smith (the series).[3][4]

Also enjoyed The Last Post (One Demand)

Vanessa
September 01, 2018 01:16PM
Ali W
I dont think Modus was subtitled but there was probably a small bit that was.
Vanessa
September 01, 2018 10:47PM
We get a regular email from Netflix telling us of new titles - but it must come from the USA so i have given up searching for them as they are not available here.

Was so excited when they told us The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literacy Society was available! But not for us it seems.
September 01, 2018 11:20PM
Yesterday evening we finished the last season of 'Orange is The New Black'. Totally unexpected ending. I googled and there is a 7th season being released next year.

And then noticed that there is now a season two of Ozark - looking forward to that
September 14, 2018 05:04PM
I've found out that Netflix has a very convenient app for mobile devices. Here is the description. After installing I have an opportunity to watch favorite series when I'm on the road. Easy to use and full of cool stuff. I'm totally satisfied.
November 27, 2018 09:55AM
It's great! I usually download music and videos and pictures here. But I now know about your application, I will use it. Thank!
March 11, 2019 06:56AM
Ive watched lots of good stuff onTV ONE On demand lately...

All British drama/crime

MotherFatherSon
Mrs Wilson
The Cry
Broken
Deep Water
The Town

Netflix - Dirty John

Happy viewing
May 21, 2019 11:41AM
Ok updating this thread...

The Bad Seed - TV on demand
BAY - TV on demand
An Ordinary Women - currently watching - TV on demand

Amazing Interiors - NETFLIX - LOVED this!
Abstract - the Art of Design - ilse Crawford NETFLIX - Loved this too - could really relate to her!!!!
Founder - the McDonalds Story - NETFLIX
Marie Kondo - Tidying up - Ha Ha tried to relate to her but with two kids Im not sure Im there yet - NETFLIX.

VAnessa
May 26, 2019 06:06AM
Just reading through this list again & here are some recent ones we have enjoyed.’ Delhi Crime’,interesting as it is true. ‘Kindness Diaries’, a guy travelling to different towns in his mini but the interesting things he does & sees. In the Line of Duty’ an English one. All quite different to each other but quite good. Now I can’t remember if they were on Netflix or On Demand, sorry.
The boy who harnessed the Wind, really good too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 11:59AM by Lyn V.
June 04, 2019 11:14AM
TV ONDEMAND
*The Bad Seed
*BAY
*Educators - Ha Ha quite funny considering the recent teachers strikes ect (Im a teacher and its very amusing and relatable)
Wife swap was interesting and a conversation starter - the one with the LOVELY but slightly over the top Chinese wife and the kiwi wife. Episode 1 I think.

NETFLIX
*Currently watching Dead to Me
*Afterlife with Ricky Gervais
*What If - discussing this one with friends, we decided this would be MUCH better if it was British, The lead Renee Zellwinger is quite unusual!
June 04, 2019 11:15AM
I LOVE in the line of Duty - apparently there is a new series very soon.
July 28, 2019 12:52AM
Ive just finished the new episodes of Janet King and started Pulse (medical drama) both Australian and good.
Also on NEON - Mary Kills People - terrible title BUT very thought provoking.
Neon - Big little lies new episodes

Vanessa
August 04, 2019 11:11PM
For Netflix users, I can thoroughly recommend The Red Sea Diving Resort - had me in tears and a wonderful moving story about Ethiopian Jews
August 04, 2019 11:59PM
The Great Hack is riveting (once you get through the first five minutes of gimmicky graphics), hugely educational.
September 20, 2019 06:28AM
Netflix - Unbelievable - Crime/Female investigators - gets better after episode 1

TV one on demand - The single wives ( Yes a dating show but for anyone single and wanting good advice in the crazy world of dating in 2019 - this is interesting)

Netflix - Intervention NEW episodes - horrific what families deal with and the situations people find themselves in. One girl is addicted to using a feeding tube and has done so for 17 years. Another interesting fly on the wall programme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 06:29AM by Vanessa45.
October 01, 2019 06:11AM
We watched Miss Meadows on Netflix last night and found it really bizarre. I can’t place it into any genre. Although I enjoyed Katie Holmes in the lead role.

Anyone else seen it?
October 01, 2019 10:10PM
Haven't seen or heard of that one Ali. And welcome back from cyber purgatory!

We have been watching The Bodyguard with Richard Madden starring in it. Only 5 episodes to Season 1, and a very gripping political thriller

And whilst I do not usually bother with reality TV, Love It or List It Vancouver is becoming a favourite on Freeview. I think the houses and seeing what is possible inside is the attraction
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.